Grooming is important! No one likes an unhygienic man-- it's gross. While you don't need a million products to keep your game in check, it's important to have a couple staples to pull yourself together before you head out the door. I'm not saying these are the best of the best, I'm just saying they're my favorites and I think they should be your favorites too! (Mind you, these are all post-shower... I'm trusting you have your own shampoo and soap at this point)
The Modern Otter's 10 Essentials Every Man Needs:
1. Face Wash, Schulz & Malley- Men, wash your faces. It's the first step in preventing acne, wrinkles, dark circles, ingrown hairs.... what have you. It should be as routine as brushing your teeth. This facial wash is a straightforward, no-frills soap that will keep your face clean. There's some special acid inside it that removes dirt from your pores and essential earthy oils that keep it from irritating sensitive skin, but the most important part is that it smells manly. So there.
2. Cologne, Bleu de Chanel- Every man should find his own scent... one that isn't his personal B.O. Bleu de Chanel happens to be mine. It's crisp and clean and doesn't leave me smelling like whiskey and cedar wood... or whatever guys are wearing these days. For Summer months, look for blue bottles. They're usually the brand's lighter, beach inspired scents that aren't as heavy as their other formulas.
3. Lip Balm,Clark's Botanical Ultra Rich Lip Balm- This stuff is ultra rich!! Whatever that means. When I lived in the desert in Arizona, I grew a dependency on another brand of lip balm. It was an unhealthy relationship. I found if I missed a day my lips would completely dry out. With Clark's, I only need it on those extra hot days or in the middle of winter when it's just plain necessary. It leaves me feeling fully hydrated and subtly vanilla (in a good way).
4. Razor,Harry's Winston Razor- Every guy needs a razor. I always have scruff and use a trimmer to keep it.... trim. But I still use a razor for my neck. No one likes a neck-beard. Rather than grabbing a 7-blade monstrosity from CVS, I opt for this classic (and cheap) Harry's razor. The whole set comes with shave cream, extra blades and this fancy little box. It makes the whole thing a little more dapper. (Someday I might upgrade to the whole beaver hair brush and bowl kit but for now this does the trick beautifully.)
5. Shave Cream, Anthony Shave Cream- With a razor you need shaving cream--pretty simple. Anthony's shave cream doesn't foam up. It has these awesome little beads in it that burst while you're shaving to hydrate your skin. The eucalyptus, rosemary and aloe keep it all natural and good for you. So go ahead, shave that neck-beard.
6. Eye Cream, Amore Pacific- I have only recently started using eye cream. I'm young but my late 20's are showing and to keep the dark circles and crows feet at bay I reach for this tiny bottle. It moisturizes and helps with the circles and wrinkles. I love all of Amore Pacific's products and their Spa in SoHo is absolutely gorgeous. Try the sample pack of their products. You'll get a great deal on everything and be fully equipped for a month or so. I get mine at Sephora. It all makes your face feel baby-soft!
7. Facial Scrub, Baxter- Not all skin types require exfoliating, but my pores clog up like a dam so two or three times a week I reach for my Baxter facial scrub. It smells like oatmeal and the little grits inside rub out all the dirt and dead skin cells on my face. Unlike other scrubs, the beads in this bottle are not plastic (I read some article about plastic beads from facial scrubs in Chicago polluting Lake Michigan, so this is an important point).
8. Moisturizer, Kiehl's Facial Fuel SPF 15- This is my last cream, I promise! But it's important to protect and hydrate your skin on a daily basis-- If you don't you'll age like a fine leather bag. Using a moisturizer with an SPF sunblock built in will help prevent wrinkles, uneven skin tone and skin cancer. The sun causes us to age faster, so we have to arm ourselves against her brutal rays. I love Keihls because they work extremely well, and the company is community and socially awesome.
9. Pomade, Aveda Grooming Clay- I have been hooked on Aveda for a few years now. All of their products are plant or mineral based and they're another company that is truly invested in the betterment of the planet. Aside from the tea and neck/hand massage you get every time you buy hair product, it's high quality product. It holds my hair in place but looks like there is nothing in it. It's light and grease free. P.S. Did you know a lot of hair products have like pig fat and petroleum in them?? It's gross. Go natural. And get a massage while you do it.
10. Dop Kit, Owen & Fred- And lastly, you need something to carry it all in when you're traveling. Take a step up from the zip-lock bag to something more polished. This color block dop kit is simple, yet has just a touch of wit on the inside. It comes in a number of colors and will last you forever.
So there you have it! That's my list of essentials. Was there anything I missed? Do you have a different opinion on the above?? Comment below and let us know!